Our school is named after Juan Diego, an Indigenous Catholic layman to whom Our Lady of Guadalupe appeared. The apparitions took place at Tepeyac, a small hill and the former sanctuary to the Aztec goddess Tonanzin. One day as Juan Diego was walking to mass a woman appeared to him wearing garments like an Aztec princess. She told Juan she was the Virgin Mary. She asked Juan to request that the local bishop build a church on that site.
Not believing Juan Diego, the bishop Juan Zumarraga asked for a heavenly sign. On December 12, 1531, Juan once again met our Lady. She told him to him to climb to the top of the hill where they first met and bring the flowers he would find there to the Bishop. Juan found blooming rose in the frozen ground and he gathered them into his cloak made of coarse fiber and known as a tilma. He took them to the bishop, and when he opened his cloak, the roses fell to the ground and a beautiful image of Our Lady was imprinted on the tilma. The bishop knew that this was truly our Lady and set out to build the church as she had asked. Juan, with the permission of the bishop, lived in a small hut on the on the site and cared for the church and the many people who came there to pray.